Friday, December 12, 2008

SKiing at Barkhausen

I'm always on the quest for new trails to explore, so I've been on Skinny Ski a lot lately looking for cool places nearby. Yesterday I had to go to Green Bay anyway, so I decided to check out Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve. According to Skinny Ski, Barkhausen is groomed 15k for skate and classic. I arrived to find the trails in great shape, and groomed exclusively for classic. As I was looking for a 2-2.5 hour diagonal day, this worked out really well. The trails were very well groomed with pretty minimal trail debris, and were groomed double-wide with perfect tracks. In my 2h20m on the trail, I saw only two other skiers, both within the first 15 mins.

These trails are pancake flat, but in very good condition, and with some great scenery through the woods and along the shorelines of some small ponds and inlets. I would highly reccommend the area to anyone heading that direction.

No comments: