Saturday, December 6, 2008

First Day of Waxing and XC Skiing

We have snow here in the Door! Plenty of places have groomed trails for skiing including Cherry Hills Nordic Center, Crossroads at Big Creek, Whitefish Dunes State Park, and Peninsula State Park, particularly on the roads. No word yet on Potawatami State Park. The skating at Cherry Hills is pretty money; I was there Thursday and it was great, and I'm sure the roads at Pen Park are as well. Thursday night the volunteers at Peninsula State Park rolled a base on the classic trails which was not real ski-able, but we plan to set track Sunday night and Monday. WOOHOO!

As for me, I have two days in on the trail, on skating at Cherry Hills, and one classic on the ungroomed trails at Peninsula State Park. I have two new sets of classic skis - Rossignol Delta waxable, and some Rossi Zynex AR's which I plan to train on. Since these planks have no wax in them, I've been skiing on some Rossignol EVO Active ARs from our rental fleet. THough they're slow, they are really pretty decent for a mid-level rec waxless ski.

I have four layers of soft wax in the Zynex's and should finish prepping them tomorrow, then I will start on the Deltas.

I will expound briefly upon my ski prep methods: First I brushed the base with a copper brush to open the pores of the p-tex. Next one layer of Toko base prep (gray). I am now on the fourth of five layers of Toko HC Yellow (warm) then two layers of Toko HC Blue (coldest), a layer of Toko HC Red (medium temps), then a layer of Start Green or Rex blue - wax of the day, followed by a good copper brushing and a plastic brush ing. It's pretty basic and will probably take about four days since I'm doing it in free time at work - my home shop is terrible - and hopefully it will all be nice and smooth in the end. I am not the most experienced wax tech in the world, but I am definitely improving...there have been a few clean-and-tune jobs a t work already so I am def. getting more real-world experience.

I have been drinking a lot of Three Winds Pinot Noir go get some. No, don't waste your time like me! Get out and go ski!

Rossignol Evo Action Positrack NIS Cross-Country Skis

No comments: