Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First Ski Day

Sunday I drove to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to catch some early season snow. Early season out west usually means late October, but around here, it signifies (generally) late November. Though Marquette has already gotten hammered with a few feet, Marquette Mountain isn't open for a week or two, so I headed to Brule.

Brule claims a base of about 24", but only about half of the hill was open; they appear to be blowing the snow into heaps and spreading it out. Despite the limited access, the skiing wasn't too bad. My first run down the mountain, I jumped onto a closed, ungroomed run because it looked fun; about half way down I realized that the top layer was glare ice, and I biffed it trying to carve a turn. I made it the rest of the way down unscathed and stuck to the open runs. Early in the day the slopes were fairly icy as they are currently 100% man-made snow, but after being skiied for a few hours, the top layer got chopped up well enough, making for better turns.

I have to say that the staff at Brule from the bartender to the lifites to customer service was all friendly with top-notch service. I have been to better areas, but have never gotten better service or care than at Brule. Though not the greatest skiing conditions ever, the experience was great, and since the hill was only half open I'm even more stoked to get out soon and hit some bigger stuff!

No comments: